When should developers start testing their code?

Chiha Sep 4, 2017

1. Chiha

Chiha New Member

Aw the age old question. When should a developer being testing their code and when are they done testing it? Personally I think a software developer should be testing their code the entire time they are writing it. Ideally each piece of code is tested as it is wrote. Then the code it tested as a whole once all the pieces are put together. This is important because errors are easier to find and fix when there are smaller pieces of code to work with. Often when you fix a bug it causes other bugs because other pieces of code rely on the one you just "fixed". So if the code is "fixed" before the other pieces of code are written then it causes fewer problems. At the end of the day a developer is never done testing. Unless it is a very simple program there are hundreds if not thousands of different ways and combinations a user could interact with the program and cause errors. That is why software is always being patched and updated. However, before releasing their program the developer should have some people who not involved in the making of the program to attend to cause errors. This is useful because often a developer misses flaws in their own program. Once those errors are fixed the program may be ready for release or publish. However, as discussed earlier, the testing is never quite finished when it comes to software.

What do you think? When should the testing process begin? At what point has a program been tested enough that it is ready to be released?

2. TopSilver

TopSilver web designer Administrator

Personally I think you have to create the code first before you can truly test it. Instead of testing code as you go, you should be level minded with the code your using and draw from ever ounce of experience you have while your writing the code you plan to later test. Now previewing is another story. You should always find ways to preview your code even if your not testing it. This keeps you knowing at least some type of foundation as to whether the code was good code or bad code. But to test your code while your writing it is also difficult because you'll be adding code later that changes the entire perspective of what your doing and leads into more errors. I think you should at least get a ruff copy of the intended product first and then test it with possibly a debugger like phpstorm or visual studio, whatever debugger you use. Then go over that code and make changes. It's one thing to know a language but it's another thing to be able to spot errors. It's my opinion that spotting errors and editing code is harder than writing it out for the first time. Just some thoughts.