What forums have you used before as an admin?

Scheibe Mar 31, 2017

Tags:
  1. Scheibe

Scheibe wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff Super Moderator

I've used XenForo, Flux, IPT, MyBB & PHPBB

@TopSilver

2. TopSilver

TopSilver web designer Administrator

I've used phpBB, vBulletin 4 & 5, and Xenforo. Never messed with anything else like myBB but I have been apart of a community that uses myBB.

3. William

William New Member

I grew into webmastering with a Joomla! CMS site that used Kunena as its forum solution. The articles were the driving force behind the site at first, but when the forums became the center and focus I realized it was very lacking of what is out there now. I purchased Vbulletin 5 almost three years ago. Then Vbulletin 4 to run on a different domain. Perhaps it was because I began with VB 5, but Vb 4 was a leap backwards in the admincp. I ended up selling my extra Vbulletin 4 license and focused on only one site.

I researched Xenforo, and the one thing I liked about it was the plentiful aftermarket mods. But basically I chose Vb instead after comparing the final price, after adding cms, blog, and other things now like chat etc.

I really hope Vbulletin starts offering their own mods bundled up in VB 5. Recently I requested that real time threads be made available so I could replace my Dragonbyte software info panels. I was surprised to see that they made it a priority and said this is where Vbulletin 5 is now.

The future is looking great. Plenty of developers left Vbulletin and bad mouth their product like no other little cultist following I ever witnessed. I hope Vb silences the competition by offering mods themselves.

Just my thoughts on the subject. But I'm no fan boy. As long as the product can get the job done.

Except, I prefer not to use open source software. I was tired of so many people having their hands in the code and so many exploits having to be patched month after month. I was constantly working on that stuff instead of content. And we know content is king, it's why people visit our sites.

Enjoy,
    William

Scheibe and TopSilver like this.
  4. TopSilver

TopSilver web designer Administrator

I wish there were more developers for vBulletin just as much as you do. I actually hope to be one of those developers one day. I gave up using my license on this site for the exact reason you said you like Xenforo. Because there are tons of mods for it. Just take one look at the Xenforo resource manager and you can see how far the product has come. I'm no Xenforo fan boy either. However, it's apparent that with Xenforo 2 fixing to release any day now I'd be a fool to at least start out on vBulletin. If I was you, I would keep on going on VB and never look back since you've come this far. I just didn't see the realism in starting a 'new' site so to speak on vBulletin.

But as I said in the first paragraph, I'm desperately trying to learn PHP and I hope to learn a lot from CodeShrek as we progress. I have the best IDE in the world which is PHPstorm and though I'm mainly a web designer, I think PHP can be under my belt eventually. If it works out I plan on communicating with @glennrocksvb and maybe helping him out in any way I can. I want to be a developer for vBulletin. It is a good software and to this day I still don't understand the common developer logic in leaving it to die. Like I said on past vBulletin.com, I first thought it was the initial style they chose that made it look so bad, both on vb.com and vb.org. I can't really say why developers have left. The future looks good and maybe they'll surprise us with a vBulletin 6 eventually, who knows. Anyways, it can definitely be said that they need to update vbulletin.org

I'm sure you saw my thread trying to convince them. My only wish is they would work more towards giving developers the opportunity to sell their work. They should have some type of resource manager thing too. On Xenforo.com you can sell your work with a price and everything all from via the resource manager.

Also ozzy and dbtech are both on xenforo now selling mods. I have seen them and spoke with them myself on occasion. It's pretty insane.